Thursday, September 20, 2012
Things I Love: Hula Hooping
I have a new hobby: Hula hooping! I bought myself a hoop last week, and I have been enjoying it a lot.
If you're not the sporty type, this might be a great way to work out for you. I usually don't really enjoy sports, and only like that great "Ahhhh, I worked out today!" feeling after the work out. Mainly because that means I am done with it for the day I guess. But hula hooping is actually a lot of fun to do!
Here are a few tips in case you want to start hula hooping too:
- Make sure you have enough space, especially if you're hooping inside. I managed to smash a few things with my hoop already. Oops?
- Start with a bigger, weighted hoop. I thought smaller ones would be easier, but apparently the size and weight give it extra momentum, making it easier to keep it up. So don't go for a children's hoop, but get one for women instead.
- Or try making one yourself using this method.
- Learn to hoop both ways! When you start, hooping in a certain direction will probably feel more natural to you. But learning to hoop both ways will make sure you exercise your muscles evenly.
- Don't look in the mirror while hooping. Just concentrate on the rythm and feeling of the hoop (closing your eyes might help).
- Here are some great videos to get you started.
Enjoy! Let me know if you're giving it a try!